Can't Convert Document second Time? MOSS 2007

Sep 21, 2009 at 8:12 PM

I have a Word document in my Doc Library, it converts fine the first time.  When I upload a new version and overwrite it, it doesn't get converted, I debug it in VS and the status of the converter says "AlreadyCompleted".  does anyone know why this may be happening?

I'm using a workflow to do the conversion and calling it with this type of line:

convertResult = workflowProperties.Item.File.Convert()... etc.

Using a standalone machine, Windows Server 2008, MOSS 2007.

Oct 20, 2009 at 5:12 PM
Edited Nov 3, 2009 at 5:17 PM

The problem here is just the way document conversion works in MOSS.  

Here are a few options;

• Turn on versioning in the library
  • Have your workflow rename the document to a unique name
  • Have your workflow move the document to another library

Oct 20, 2009 at 5:20 PM

thanks for the comment, funny thing is earlier in the summer, when I was converting documents, it created a second file when the converted file already existed, but with a number appended to it, so I had 2 converted files from one file in a directory.  I guess I'll try what you've suggested, it seems this stuff wasn't well thought out when they created the document conversion framework.

Oct 23, 2009 at 2:24 PM

I think i've come up with why this is happening.  it seems that if you have MOSS Versioning enabled, it will create different versions (number appended) to the pdf.  And the file will be checkout to the current user.  These PDFs are all unpublished too at this point.